There’s lots of things to do in Stokes Croft
One of Bristol’s most infamous areas – Stokes Croft get’s a lot bad press theses days. But it’s not all Tesco riots and gentrification. There’s amazing bars, tasty food, great shops and a load of quirky local characters. Here’s 50 things to do in Stokes Croft.
1. Marvel at the Stokes Croft skull on Westmoreland House created by Cyclops
2. Admire the Carriage Works before it becomes flats
3. Eat lunch at The Social
— The Social (@Social_Bristol) October 28, 2015
4. Eat an awesome egg based brunch at Craft Egg
5. Try some tasty Jamaican food at Rice & Things
6. Have a Stokes Croft street bath
7. Pop into the ‘Little Shop’ and see some art
8. Get some vintage clothes from the ‘Pop Up Shop‘
9. Eat some scrumptious pies at Pieminister
Bristol のPieminister 、ほんまに美味しかった！地元民の友達に連れてきてもらいましたが、Best pie I ever hadでございました。サービスも素晴らしく、イギリス人男性がマルチタスクしてるのを初めて見たw pic.twitter.com/8WrcatM9Z0
— Nuko-Mon (@Lovelyhoneybees) September 21, 2015
10. Buy some Bristol Pounds from the Bristol Credit Union
We've had a bit of a facelift! pic.twitter.com/9I5UQqBwuj
— Bristol Credit Union (@BristolCULtd) October 8, 2015
11. Eat an epic wrap from Biblos
— Bristol24/7 (@bristol247) December 14, 2014
12. Buy some records at Idle Hands
13. Have a night out at Blue Mountain
14. Have another night out at the legendary Lakota
15. Stop for a swift pint at The Bell
We've been rocking since 1791; here's a pic from 1930! Brand new sound system coming in the next couple of days! pic.twitter.com/ZFBm2Kff
— TheBellStokesCroft (@BellStokesCroft) January 21, 2013
16. Eat some tasty tapas at Poco
— hot-dinners.com (@hotdinners) September 16, 2015
17. Sample all the craft beer at Crofter’s Rights
— Brewtorial (@brewtorial_uk) October 20, 2015
18. Then pop next door to Ray’s Pizza
— Wriggle Bristol (@Wriggle_Bristol) May 29, 2015
19. Eat a vegan breakfast at Tree House Cafe
— Cheese No More (@CheeseNoMore) February 24, 2015
20. Have a quick rave on Turbo Island
21. Pop in for a ‘massage’ at the Massage Club
22. Or this one… such choice!
23. See some of the iconic Stokes Croft graffiti
24. Eat at Kale and Kettle the vegetarian cafe
25. Pick up some cheap furniture at Happytat
26. Drink some loose wine and have a lasagne at Zitto & Bevi
27. Pick up some beer on the way back from a night out at ‘The Best’
28. Eat and drink vegan things at Cafe Kino
29. Drink coffee and watch a film at the Arts House Cafe
30. Squeeze in some tasty cakes at Patisserie Leila
31. Become a true Bristolian after eating some Slix chicken
32. Have a dance to some house and disco at the Love Inn
33. Pick up some bread and pastries at Love Bristol Bakery
34. Look at some art at ‘It’s all 2 Much‘
35. Buy a piano from Mickleburgh Musical Instruments
36. Get a new hair cut from Shambarber
37. Have a look in the charity shop – Treasure
38. Walk along Jamaica Street and look at this street art
39. Then check how many shoes are hanging from this wire..
40. Buy a Stokes Croft mug from Stokes Croft China
41. Eat, drink and dance at the Canteen
42. Also pop upstairs into Hamilton House for Art, Music, Therapies, Events and Workshops
— Hamilton House (@HamiltonHouseBR) May 1, 2015
43. Have a pizza and a dance at No. 51
44. Drink a swift pint in one of Bristol’s best beer gardens at the Full Moon
Make sure you check out the toilet graffiti..
45. Buy a big issue from the famous Jeff
46. Boycott Tesco. Obviously
46. Wave at a Google Street View car
47. Finish the night off at the beating heart of Stokes Croft… Rita’s Take Away
48. Watch a film at The Cube
We're Setting up for GIRLFRIENDS tonight. It's on 3 reels so there'll be two short intermissions pic.twitter.com/d3JaJYbEis
— The Cube Microplex (@CUBECINEMA) September 13, 2015
49. Check out the infamous former squat Telepathic Heights
Love all this. Took this when visiting Bristol this year. Telepathic Heights pic.twitter.com/PLf2WpGHZS
— Clare D (@fairychav) November 17, 2013
50. Get some new threads from That Thing
You see, there’s loads of things to do in Stokes Croft! If you fancy walking a bit further than check out 74 things to do on Gloucester Road.
The 20 Best Bristol Street Art Pieces Of 2017
Best Bristol Street Art
It’s been another great year for the local street art scene. Here’s a list of some of the best art from 2017, some of it is still there to view and some has been replaced; all part of the natural evolution of the art form. We were treated to another stellar Upfest festival which is the biggest in Europe and in my opinion the best. Anyway, here is the list. Don’t forget to follow us on Instagram (@streetartbristol) for many more photos from this year and fresh work as we make our way into 2018. Happy new year!
1. Paul Monsters (@paulmonsters) & Copyright (@copyrightart)
2. 3dom (@3dom22)
3. Liz C Illustration (@lizc_illustration)
4. Irony (@whoamirony) & Boe (@placee_boe)
5. Kobra (@kobrastreetart)
6. Voyder (@voyder) & 3dom (@3dom22)
7. Woskerski (@woskerski)
8. Kristx (@kristx_)
9. Aspire (@aspireartwork) & D7606 (@d7606)
10. N4T4 (@n_4_t_4)
11. Dzia (@dzia)
12. Andrew Burns Colwill (@andrewburnscolwill
13. Lemak (@lemak_art)
14. Si2 (@hull_graffiti)
15. Melike Painting (@melikepainting) & Nino Viegas (@nunovviegas)
16. Bex Glover (@bexgloverart)
17. Unknown Artist
18. Cheo (@cheograff)
19. Louis Masai (@louismasai)
20. Angus (@angusart85)
Bristol’s Hidden Street Art Part 1
Hidden street in Bristol: Shop Shutters
I used to think I kept fully up to speed with the urban art scene in Bristol and knew the majority of locations to find anything of interest. Then one day I went for my usual wander around Bedminster and realised this wasn’t totally the case. This did happen to be 8 o’clock on a Saturday morning so more importantly what the hell was I doing up and out at that time?! This was during the week before Upfest 2017 so I wanted to make sure I had photos of all the pieces soon to be lost.
All along North Street was art I hadn’t seen before; on shop shutters! I probably had seen a couple of them on a previous weekend wander but there were maybe 6 or 7 completely new to me, some more classical graffiti and some more so ‘street art’ by brilliant artists. This started a quest to walk around my usual graff/art spots of the city on weekends or after closing times to see what other art was waiting for me. Here’s is some of what I found.
1. Andy Council (@andycouncil) – North Street, Bedminster
2. Dan Leo (@danleodesign) – Stokes Croft
3. Sled One (@sledone) & Smak (@smaktown) – Moon Street, Stokes Croft
4. Ok so this one isn’t a shop shutter but still deserves a shout. By 3dom (@3dom22) in Brislington/St Annes
5. Alex Lucas aka Lucas Antics (@lucas_antics) at Stokes Croft Vintage Market
Alex has done more recent shutters on North Street that I don’t have a photo of (yet!) but it’s white butterflies on black background, go find it and tag your Instagram photo with #streetartbristol ??
6. Mayflower Chinese Restaurant near bus station, artist unknown
7. Mr Impossible by Loch Ness (@lochnessart) on North Street
8. Jamaican Diner, North Street. Artist unknown
9. One of my favourites on North Street is this one by Copyright (@copyrightart)
10. Lokey (@lokey_bristol) at North Street Standard
11. The Bollywood Beauty Lounge on North Street
12. Tamrakar on North Street
13. SHAB (@s.h.a.b) at North Street Standard
14. A few doors away from Hamilton House in Stokes Croft
15. Dons Car Wash painted by Sepr (@sepr) in St Pauls
16. Another from Stokes Croft
17. Pete’s Barbers, West Street, Bedminster
18. Vandal by Nick Walker (@nickwalker_art) on St George’s Road
19. Another Mr Men & Little Miss themed shutter from Upfest 2016
20. Bird is the word, one on North Street…for a change ?
That’s it for this article, part two of the list will be coming your way in the near future. If you enjoyed this please come and follow us on Instagram and tag your Bristol street art pics with our hashtag. Thanks for reading.
Follow us: @streetartbristol
Tag your photos: #streetartbristol
Bristol Pub Quizzes
It’s time for a good old fashioned Bristol pub quiz
There are endless places where you can find some good Bristol pub quizzes. Fridays and Saturdays are unlikely but here are loads of places Sunday – Thursday.
Monday Bristol Pub Quizzes
- The Flyer at 8pm on Gloucester Road
- The Lounge at 8pm on North Street
- The Shakespeare at 8pm in Redland
- Golden Lion music quiz at 8.30pm on Gloucester Road
- The Wellington at 8.30pm on Gloucester Road
Tuesday Bristol Pub Quizzes
- The Brass Pig at 9pm in Clifton
- The Bristol Ram at 7.30pm on Park Street
- Victoria Park at 8pm in Bedminster
- Mother’s Ruin at 9pm in the centre
- Bag of Nails at 8pm in Hotwells
- The Famous Royal Navy Volunteer at 7.30pm on Kings Street
Wednesday Bristol Pub Quizzes
- Crack Magazine Music Quiz at 9pm on the Christmas Steps
- Duke of York at 8pm in St. Werburghs
- The Cadbury at 8pm in Montpellier
Thursday Bristol Pub Quizzes
- The Hare on the Hill at 8pm in Kingsdown
- The Ship Inn at 8.30pm on Park Row
- The Red Lion at 9pm on Whitehall Road, St George/Easton/Redfield. BS5.
Sunday Bristol Pub Quizzes
- The Spotted Cow at 8pm in Fishponds
- The Anchor at 8pm on Gloucester Road
- Old Market Tavern Pride Quiz (first Sunday of each Month) in Old Market
Blankety Quiz – Found across Bristol and voted the best pub quiz in Bristol
Got any that we’ve missed? Pop them in the comments below.
New Year Menu Twist at Woky Ko
Woky Ko launch new menu Nestled in Wapping Wharf on Bristol’s buzzing harbourside, Woky Ko: CARGO swung open its doors in late-October, 2016...
Behind the Scenes at Thatchers Cider
I have a confession to make… I’m a cider snob. I like it dry or medium-dry, and cloudy – with...
Pata Negra Revamp Kitchen And Menu
Pata Negra Steps It Up for the Autumn Season Bristol’s proud independent streak is well-documented, and we’re lucky to have...
7 Awesome Festivals Coming Up In And Around Bristol
Our favourite festivals coming up in and around Bristol This has been one of the best Summers ever. Football almost...
The Time I Beat Bristol’s Scariest Escape Room
I’m put in many a tricky situation exploring the very ‘Best of Bristol’. Usually up high, scaling buildings and cranes...
Sampling The Lesser Known Ciders From Thatchers
Despite the recent rain, bbq season is upon us, and no camping trip or garden gathering is complete without a...