There’s almost too much to do as Bristol Hipster
We’ve all seen them. Riding their fixy through Stokes Croft, dropping their laundry off @ At The Well, picking up a soya latte from Cafe Kino, popping in for a cheeky haircut at Shambarber before cooling down with an organic scrumpy from the Canteen. But hey, there’s nothing wrong with that! The hipster places in Bristol are actually pretty good, sometimes you just need some alternative Bristol tourist information and here you can discover a whole 55 different hipster things you can do in Bristol.
1. Park your penny farthing outside of the Apple Store
— You just lost the game (@Alexwintermute) June 22, 2013
2. Stop for a drink in the Spotted Cow
— Neil (@YellowDogAmisM) August 7, 2014
3. Visit the Hipster dog
— Neil Costello (@_neilcostello) November 23, 2013
4. Get your laundry done At The Well in Stokes Croft
5. Pick up a soya latte or a vegan milkshake from Cafe Kino in Stokes Croft
— Grace (@GirlinBristol) September 3, 2015
6. Pop into the Canteen and get a little bit of work done… or play a quick game of Table Tennis on a break.
7. Get the latest cut from the lovely folks at Shambarber. It will probably only take 13 minutes of disco and you’ll be ready for Shapes in the evening.
8. Shop in That Thing. Now moved… down the road in Stokes Croft
9. Pick up an Ackee from Bear Fruit Bristol. That or just 5 fruits for a quid
10. Grab some Mexican food from an old Bristol bus and exclaim ‘isn’t the Bearpit just the cultural centre of the South West’?
11. Paul Kalkbrenner bonus: Squeeze in a quick game of table tennis in the middle of the Bearpit
12. Try on some wares in Loot
13. Grab a Flat White from Small St. Espresso
— Small St. Espresso (@smallstespresso) July 14, 2015
14. Sip a black coffee from Full Court Press. From an Aeropress of course
— Rebecca Enderby (@Enderbee) June 20, 2015
15. Go absolutely mad with the street food choice at St. Nicholas Market
A pigeon's view of St Nicholas Market's Glass Arcade. pic.twitter.com/xw2hPe19K3
— St Nicholas Markets (@stnicksmarket) January 29, 2015
16. Admire the latest exhibition at The Arnolfini
— Arnolfini (@ArnolfiniArts) August 26, 2015
17. Try the 4 way sampler of craft beer at BrewDog… or these ones
Our Tom's favourite beer is Orval. He doesn't want to share, but he has to. It is his job. Sorry Tom. pic.twitter.com/oKrxfI7pRk
— BrewDog Bristol (@BrewDogBristol) September 2, 2015
18. Munch on 241 burgers at Start The Bus… but only on a Tuesday
Is it Lunch Time yet? pic.twitter.com/E8IcRhUA0y
— Hy-Brasil Music Club (@HyBrasilClub) August 4, 2015
20. Get one of the finest steaks in Bristol at The Ox.
21. Pop into Wiff Waff on Baldwin Street. Grab a skinny macchiato and blast a child at table tennis
22. Do some yoga, and play more table tennis at Club Haus – Welshback
23. Drink one of the 8 ciders on tap at The Apple
24. Play some Street Fighter 2 and yes… more table tennis at Kongs of Kings Street
25. Sample some of the finest Azerbaijani jazz at the Old Duke
— Mark Ware (@mrkwr) August 30, 2015
26. Drink a tiny but very strong little craft beer at Small Bar
— Small Bar Bristol (@SmallBarBristol) March 24, 2015
27. Pop up to St. Michaels Hill, on the way grab a vanilla frappuccino from the Workhouse Cafe
— workhouse kitchen (@cafeworkhouse) August 22, 2015
28. Eat a pizza and sip a craft beer from Beerd. There’s even some with gherkins on!
— Beerd Bristol (@beerdbristol) September 4, 2015
29. Munch on a homemade sausage roll in The Highbury Vaults sexy garden
Another bbq in our beautiful beer garden, 6pm tomorrow don't miss it. Bring the sunshine with you! 🙂 pic.twitter.com/3RHsBU0OnC
— Highbury Vaults (@HighburyVaults) July 10, 2015
30. Get a British Banger from the Clifton Sausage
31. Drink some ridiculously strong cider from the Coronation Tap… you won’t remember what happened
With the exception of some of our scrumptious ciders, it’s pretty much cloudless in Clifton! 🙂 pic.twitter.com/miwoY3SG8A
— The Coronation Tap (@CoriTapClifton) June 8, 2015
32. Have some of the ‘coolest’ beer in town at Zerodegrees
Make the weekend stretch that little bit longer with us… pic.twitter.com/Z8eF3brFQN
— Zerodegrees (@ZerodegreesBeer) August 23, 2015
33. Go this secret little place called Hyde & Co
Day 5 – it's all good. We're in!!! pic.twitter.com/FGiolBFUOY
— Hyde & Co (@hydeandco) July 17, 2015
34. Hey have you heard about this other secret place called The Milk Thistle?
— The MilkThistle (@themilkthistle) September 3, 2015
35. Yep, but there’s an even more secret place called Redlight
Our take on the classic Rum 'n' Coke..
Pampero Anniversario Rum
Iconic bottle pic.twitter.com/GKIwwtN0Nj
— Red Light (@RedLightBristol) June 8, 2015
36. Pick up a copy of Crack Magazine and find out the latest about post nu wave dub-techno
— Crack Magazine (@CrackMagazine) September 4, 2015
37. Like the Crack? Well pop down to Christmas Steps and take the Crack Music quiz
— The Christmas Steps (@thexmassteps) August 26, 2015
38. Eat, Drink & Dance it up at the Love Inn
— The Love Inn (@TheLoveInn) January 20, 2014
40. Find a night where Shapes are playing. Bosses of Bristol’s house music, their nights rival anyones in Bristol
41. Go to one of the many In:Motion nights this season
— In:Motion (@BristolInMotion) September 2, 2015
42. Do a Just Jack night. Halloween is always recommended
43. Have a look at your fellow bearded barmen at the Old Bookshop and this squirrel
— The Old Bookshop (@theoldbookshop) July 28, 2015
44. Eat chicken wings and play Bristolian lingo bingo at Foozie’s Bingo Wings
45. Eat a horse burger from M.J. Dalton Butcher at the top of Gloucester Road
46. Drink in a bath on Stokes Croft, because after all bars are overrated these days
47. Dance on Turbo Island, preferably to the latest Levon Vincent release
48. Watch an underappreciated masterclass of a movie outside at the Bristol Bad Film Club
49. Have a lovely wheat beer and some sexy meat at Urban Standard
50. Even though you’ve already been to Shambarber, pop into ‘Mack Daddy’s and make sure you’re still looking fly
51. Buy a sexy jumper with a wolf on it from Repsycho
52. Go to Brewers Droop and pick up some more brewers supplies for that home brew you’ve almost run out
53. Bagels. Just loads of bloody bagels from Bagel Boy. Did we say bagels?
54. Admire the different tones of the Bristol art at the Fifth Wall
55. Have a pint and pet some cats at Bag of Nails in Hotwells
God speed little hipsters, run free and enjoy Bristol!
The 20 Best Bristol Street Art Pieces Of 2017
Best Bristol Street Art
It’s been another great year for the local street art scene. Here’s a list of some of the best art from 2017, some of it is still there to view and some has been replaced; all part of the natural evolution of the art form. We were treated to another stellar Upfest festival which is the biggest in Europe and in my opinion the best. Anyway, here is the list. Don’t forget to follow us on Instagram (@streetartbristol) for many more photos from this year and fresh work as we make our way into 2018. Happy new year!
1. Paul Monsters (@paulmonsters) & Copyright (@copyrightart)
2. 3dom (@3dom22)
3. Liz C Illustration (@lizc_illustration)
4. Irony (@whoamirony) & Boe (@placee_boe)
5. Kobra (@kobrastreetart)
6. Voyder (@voyder) & 3dom (@3dom22)
7. Woskerski (@woskerski)
8. Kristx (@kristx_)
9. Aspire (@aspireartwork) & D7606 (@d7606)
10. N4T4 (@n_4_t_4)
11. Dzia (@dzia)
12. Andrew Burns Colwill (@andrewburnscolwill
13. Lemak (@lemak_art)
14. Si2 (@hull_graffiti)
15. Melike Painting (@melikepainting) & Nino Viegas (@nunovviegas)
16. Bex Glover (@bexgloverart)
17. Unknown Artist
18. Cheo (@cheograff)
19. Louis Masai (@louismasai)
20. Angus (@angusart85)
Bristol’s Hidden Street Art Part 1
Hidden street in Bristol: Shop Shutters
I used to think I kept fully up to speed with the urban art scene in Bristol and knew the majority of locations to find anything of interest. Then one day I went for my usual wander around Bedminster and realised this wasn’t totally the case. This did happen to be 8 o’clock on a Saturday morning so more importantly what the hell was I doing up and out at that time?! This was during the week before Upfest 2017 so I wanted to make sure I had photos of all the pieces soon to be lost.
All along North Street was art I hadn’t seen before; on shop shutters! I probably had seen a couple of them on a previous weekend wander but there were maybe 6 or 7 completely new to me, some more classical graffiti and some more so ‘street art’ by brilliant artists. This started a quest to walk around my usual graff/art spots of the city on weekends or after closing times to see what other art was waiting for me. Here’s is some of what I found.
1. Andy Council (@andycouncil) – North Street, Bedminster
2. Dan Leo (@danleodesign) – Stokes Croft
3. Sled One (@sledone) & Smak (@smaktown) – Moon Street, Stokes Croft
4. Ok so this one isn’t a shop shutter but still deserves a shout. By 3dom (@3dom22) in Brislington/St Annes
5. Alex Lucas aka Lucas Antics (@lucas_antics) at Stokes Croft Vintage Market
Alex has done more recent shutters on North Street that I don’t have a photo of (yet!) but it’s white butterflies on black background, go find it and tag your Instagram photo with #streetartbristol ??
6. Mayflower Chinese Restaurant near bus station, artist unknown
7. Mr Impossible by Loch Ness (@lochnessart) on North Street
8. Jamaican Diner, North Street. Artist unknown
9. One of my favourites on North Street is this one by Copyright (@copyrightart)
10. Lokey (@lokey_bristol) at North Street Standard
11. The Bollywood Beauty Lounge on North Street
12. Tamrakar on North Street
13. SHAB (@s.h.a.b) at North Street Standard
14. A few doors away from Hamilton House in Stokes Croft
15. Dons Car Wash painted by Sepr (@sepr) in St Pauls
16. Another from Stokes Croft
17. Pete’s Barbers, West Street, Bedminster
18. Vandal by Nick Walker (@nickwalker_art) on St George’s Road
19. Another Mr Men & Little Miss themed shutter from Upfest 2016
20. Bird is the word, one on North Street…for a change ?
That’s it for this article, part two of the list will be coming your way in the near future. If you enjoyed this please come and follow us on Instagram and tag your Bristol street art pics with our hashtag. Thanks for reading.
Follow us: @streetartbristol
Tag your photos: #streetartbristol
Bristol Pub Quizzes
It’s time for a good old fashioned Bristol pub quiz
There are endless places where you can find some good Bristol pub quizzes. Fridays and Saturdays are unlikely but here are loads of places Sunday – Thursday.
Monday Bristol Pub Quizzes
- The Flyer at 8pm on Gloucester Road
- The Lounge at 8pm on North Street
- The Shakespeare at 8pm in Redland
- Golden Lion music quiz at 8.30pm on Gloucester Road
- The Wellington at 8.30pm on Gloucester Road
Tuesday Bristol Pub Quizzes
- The Brass Pig at 9pm in Clifton
- The Bristol Ram at 7.30pm on Park Street
- Victoria Park at 8pm in Bedminster
- Mother’s Ruin at 9pm in the centre
- Bag of Nails at 8pm in Hotwells
- The Famous Royal Navy Volunteer at 7.30pm on Kings Street
Wednesday Bristol Pub Quizzes
- Crack Magazine Music Quiz at 9pm on the Christmas Steps
- Duke of York at 8pm in St. Werburghs
- The Cadbury at 8pm in Montpellier
Thursday Bristol Pub Quizzes
- The Hare on the Hill at 8pm in Kingsdown
- The Ship Inn at 8.30pm on Park Row
- The Red Lion at 9pm on Whitehall Road, St George/Easton/Redfield. BS5.
Sunday Bristol Pub Quizzes
- The Spotted Cow at 8pm in Fishponds
- The Anchor at 8pm on Gloucester Road
- Old Market Tavern Pride Quiz (first Sunday of each Month) in Old Market
Blankety Quiz – Found across Bristol and voted the best pub quiz in Bristol
Got any that we’ve missed? Pop them in the comments below.
7 Awesome Festivals Coming Up In And Around Bristol
Our favourite festivals coming up in and around Bristol This has been one of the best Summers ever. Football almost...
The Time I Beat Bristol’s Scariest Escape Room
I’m put in many a tricky situation exploring the very ‘Best of Bristol’. Usually up high, scaling buildings and cranes...
Sampling The Lesser Known Ciders From Thatchers
Despite the recent rain, bbq season is upon us, and no camping trip or garden gathering is complete without a...
Bristol’s Biggest Food Festival Is Back
Bristol Food Connections 2018 is nearly here, so it’s time to plan your festival! Bristol Food Connections is one the...
Love Saves The Day Preview
Love Saves The Day Returns To Bristol Bristol’s biggest music festival returns to Eastville Park this May Bank Holiday Weekend...
Hyde & Co’s Launch Impressive New Cocktail Menu
A year has passed since Bristol’s finest cocktail bar last refreshed its menu, and it’s all change again at the...
Opinion9 months ago
Welcome To Bristol – As Long As You’re Not A C**t
Featured8 months ago
Why I F****ing LOVE Bristol
Featured8 months ago
The Big Bristol 2017 Quiz
Places to Eat in Bristol8 months ago
The First British Dal Festival to Hit Bristol in 2018
Featured4 months ago
A Response To ‘Gentrification By Instagram’
Bars9 months ago
Bristol Pub Quizzes
Bars9 months ago
There’s A Website Reviewing Bristol’s Pub Toilets
Bristol Guides8 months ago
The 20 Best Bristol Street Art Pieces Of 2017