There’s some absolutely tasty tapas Bristol places
Got a penchant for pintxos, or a hankering for jamon?
Well who’d have thunk it, but Bristol actually has quite the repertoire of tapas joints, from intimate little bars right through to lively restaurants with flamenco dancers and tenuously-named cocktails.
Here are my five favourite places to go when I’ve got a seriously tapas craving in Bristol…
1. Pata Negra
A shrine to all things Spanish from the team behind Milk Thistle, Hyde & Co. and The Ox, set across three floors on Corn Street. Choose from some excellent pintxos or tapas (the Pan Catalan is particularly good, as is their selection of cheeses and cured meats), in addition to their well-considered sherry and wine menus. Spanish food with a touch of cheeky chic.
2. La Tomatina
Situated half way up Park St, this friendly Spanish restaurant has more of a bustling casual vibe than some of the more atmospheric places on the list, but there are some real stand out dishes on the menu – the braised ox cheeks being one. As well as the extensive tapas menu there are also several larger dishes to chose from, including paella to share. They also offer some interesting events such as Spanish classes and a regular Flamenco night.
3. El Puerto
Big and (depending on the day) brash, El Puerto is a well-known lively tapas restaurant near the harbour. The location and size of the place means that it’s a popular choice for large groups, and it also means that they can run some fun Flamenco and Jazz nights, in addition to special events such as paella feasts. The portions are generous and they don’t scrimp on the garlic – so maybe not the best choice for a date, but perfect for a friends night out.
This place has set a new standard for tapas in town, but it’s not just the great food that means this place gets booked up weeks in advance, the atmosphere is also intimate and cosy. It might well be one of the best tapas in Bristol. Take your seat at a table, or up at the bar to watch the exciting things going on in the kitchen whilst perusing their impressive gin & tonic selection. The menu is ever-changing but some favourites remain on the menu throughout the year, such as the grilled Iberico pork, salted chocolate truffles (you’ll think the portion is stingy until you realise how rich they are) and the fried aubergine drizzled with molasses – one of my favourite dishes in Bristol.
5. El Rincon
This tiny Spanish bar on North St has established itself as a cornerstone of the local community, with Spanish language courses, live music, cookery classes, film nights and their famous tortilla competition! It’s amazing how much such a small place has to offer. Simple, comforting and reasonably-priced food matched with a friendly atmosphere.
Or if you’re thinking about the term ‘tapas’ more loosely, these places all do a very, very good selection of small plates that draw on influences from across the world:
- The Gallimaufry – Their 3 small plates for £12 deal is an absolute steal.
- Bell’s Diner – Some of the best food being served in Bristol right now, no messing.
- Manna – Impressive & innovative dishes in a welcoming neighbourhood restaurant.
- Poco – Great food with an award-winning sustainable ethos. The cocktails are also top notch.
Or if you want to recreate your own Spanish style feast at home, pay a visit to Spanish deli El Colmado on Gloucester Road to stock up on meats, cheeses, croquetas and empanadas, as well as the usual roster of Mediterranean treats.
Like this? Then you’ll probably enjoy 5 delicious places to eat in Bristol.
The 20 Best Bristol Street Art Pieces Of 2017
Best Bristol Street Art
It’s been another great year for the local street art scene. Here’s a list of some of the best art from 2017, some of it is still there to view and some has been replaced; all part of the natural evolution of the art form. We were treated to another stellar Upfest festival which is the biggest in Europe and in my opinion the best. Anyway, here is the list. Don’t forget to follow us on Instagram (@streetartbristol) for many more photos from this year and fresh work as we make our way into 2018. Happy new year!
1. Paul Monsters (@paulmonsters) & Copyright (@copyrightart)
2. 3dom (@3dom22)
3. Liz C Illustration (@lizc_illustration)
4. Irony (@whoamirony) & Boe (@placee_boe)
5. Kobra (@kobrastreetart)
6. Voyder (@voyder) & 3dom (@3dom22)
7. Woskerski (@woskerski)
8. Kristx (@kristx_)
9. Aspire (@aspireartwork) & D7606 (@d7606)
10. N4T4 (@n_4_t_4)
11. Dzia (@dzia)
12. Andrew Burns Colwill (@andrewburnscolwill
13. Lemak (@lemak_art)
14. Si2 (@hull_graffiti)
15. Melike Painting (@melikepainting) & Nino Viegas (@nunovviegas)
16. Bex Glover (@bexgloverart)
17. Unknown Artist
18. Cheo (@cheograff)
19. Louis Masai (@louismasai)
20. Angus (@angusart85)
Bristol’s Hidden Street Art Part 1
Hidden street in Bristol: Shop Shutters
I used to think I kept fully up to speed with the urban art scene in Bristol and knew the majority of locations to find anything of interest. Then one day I went for my usual wander around Bedminster and realised this wasn’t totally the case. This did happen to be 8 o’clock on a Saturday morning so more importantly what the hell was I doing up and out at that time?! This was during the week before Upfest 2017 so I wanted to make sure I had photos of all the pieces soon to be lost.
All along North Street was art I hadn’t seen before; on shop shutters! I probably had seen a couple of them on a previous weekend wander but there were maybe 6 or 7 completely new to me, some more classical graffiti and some more so ‘street art’ by brilliant artists. This started a quest to walk around my usual graff/art spots of the city on weekends or after closing times to see what other art was waiting for me. Here’s is some of what I found.
1. Andy Council (@andycouncil) – North Street, Bedminster
2. Dan Leo (@danleodesign) – Stokes Croft
3. Sled One (@sledone) & Smak (@smaktown) – Moon Street, Stokes Croft
4. Ok so this one isn’t a shop shutter but still deserves a shout. By 3dom (@3dom22) in Brislington/St Annes
5. Alex Lucas aka Lucas Antics (@lucas_antics) at Stokes Croft Vintage Market
Alex has done more recent shutters on North Street that I don’t have a photo of (yet!) but it’s white butterflies on black background, go find it and tag your Instagram photo with #streetartbristol 👍🏻
6. Mayflower Chinese Restaurant near bus station, artist unknown
7. Mr Impossible by Loch Ness (@lochnessart) on North Street
8. Jamaican Diner, North Street. Artist unknown
9. One of my favourites on North Street is this one by Copyright (@copyrightart)
10. Lokey (@lokey_bristol) at North Street Standard
11. The Bollywood Beauty Lounge on North Street
12. Tamrakar on North Street
13. SHAB (@s.h.a.b) at North Street Standard
14. A few doors away from Hamilton House in Stokes Croft
15. Dons Car Wash painted by Sepr (@sepr) in St Pauls
16. Another from Stokes Croft
17. Pete’s Barbers, West Street, Bedminster
18. Vandal by Nick Walker (@nickwalker_art) on St George’s Road
19. Another Mr Men & Little Miss themed shutter from Upfest 2016
20. Bird is the word, one on North Street…for a change 😏
That’s it for this article, part two of the list will be coming your way in the near future. If you enjoyed this please come and follow us on Instagram and tag your Bristol street art pics with our hashtag. Thanks for reading.
Follow us: @streetartbristol
Tag your photos: #streetartbristol
Bristol Pub Quizzes
It’s time for a good old fashioned Bristol pub quiz
There are endless places where you can find some good Bristol pub quizzes. Fridays and Saturdays are unlikely but here are loads of places Sunday – Thursday.
Monday Bristol Pub Quizzes
- The Flyer at 8pm on Gloucester Road
- The Lounge at 8pm on North Street
- The Shakespeare at 8pm in Redland
- Golden Lion music quiz at 8.30pm on Gloucester Road
- The Wellington at 8.30pm on Gloucester Road
Tuesday Bristol Pub Quizzes
- The Brass Pig at 9pm in Clifton
- The Bristol Ram at 7.30pm on Park Street
- Victoria Park at 8pm in Bedminster
- Mother’s Ruin at 9pm in the centre
- Bag of Nails at 8pm in Hotwells
- The Famous Royal Navy Volunteer at 7.30pm on Kings Street
Wednesday Bristol Pub Quizzes
- Crack Magazine Music Quiz at 9pm on the Christmas Steps
- Duke of York at 8pm in St. Werburghs
- The Cadbury at 8pm in Montpellier
Thursday Bristol Pub Quizzes
- The Hare on the Hill at 8pm in Kingsdown
- The Ship Inn at 8.30pm on Park Row
- The Red Lion at 9pm on Whitehall Road, St George/Easton/Redfield. BS5.
Sunday Bristol Pub Quizzes
- The Spotted Cow at 8pm in Fishponds
- The Anchor at 8pm on Gloucester Road
- Old Market Tavern Pride Quiz (first Sunday of each Month) in Old Market
Blankety Quiz – Found across Bristol and voted the best pub quiz in Bristol
Got any that we’ve missed? Pop them in the comments below.
Hyde & Co’s Launch Impressive New Cocktail Menu
A year has passed since Bristol’s finest cocktail bar last refreshed its menu, and it’s all change again at the...
A Response To ‘Gentrification By Instagram’
In response to Bristol 24/7 and Thomas Oxley: ‘Gentrification by Instagram’ First of all I should say to those that...
There’s A Gin Bus & A Rum Bus Coming To Bristol!
The Foozie bus series is returning to Bristol! After the hugely successful Foozie bus series last year, Bristol will again...
Outrage As Bearpit To Become Open Air Pool In Leaked Council Documents
Bristolians are up in arms after documents leaked from Bristol City Council show the city’s much maligned Bearpit is set...
An Amazing Bristol Brewery Is Set To Open In Finzel’s Reach
Left Handed Giant reaches closing stages of £1 million crowd funding campaign Bristol-based Left Handed Giant, one of the UK’s...
Don’t Be A F***ing No Show, Bristol
Don’t be a Fucking No Show This is an article I’ve wanted to write for a long time, but the...
Opinion5 months ago
Welcome To Bristol – As Long As You’re Not A C**t
Featured4 months ago
Why I F****ing LOVE Bristol
Bristol Guides9 months ago
74 Things To Do On Gloucester Road
Featured4 months ago
The Big Bristol 2017 Quiz
Places to Eat in Bristol4 months ago
The First British Dal Festival to Hit Bristol in 2018
Bars5 months ago
There’s A Website Reviewing Bristol’s Pub Toilets
Bars10 months ago
8 Awesome Places To Drink Gin In Bristol
Featured2 weeks ago
A Response To ‘Gentrification By Instagram’