Live music for free in Bristol
Bristol has many places to see live music in Bristol pubs for big bands and DJs but it can take a toll on how many Bristol Pounds you’ve got left to spend. Never fear though, there’s 7 places in Bristol where you can regularly see free live music in Bristol.
1. The Canteen
This Stokes Croft institution is one of only 2 venues to have music every single night in Bristol…. and it’s completely for free!
Hamilton House, 80 Stokes Croft, 0117 923 2017, live music nightly
— The Gallimaufry (@TheGalliBristol) November 12, 2015
The Galli is a bastion of great free live music in Bristol with a generous blend of Folk, Jazz, Boogaloo, Blues & Alternative sounds.
26/28 Gloucester Road, 0117 942 7319, live music every night of the week
3. Blue Lagoon
Just down the road from the Galli, you’ll find free music here most days of the week. Plus the bonus of 241 cocktails Thursday to Sunday.
20 Gloucester Road, 0117 942 747, free live music 7.30pm most nights
— No 1 Harbourside (@No1Harbourside) October 20, 2015
One of the much nicer bars in the centre of Bristol. You’ll find lots of night of stompin’ live music and dance. The food is pretty tasty to!
1 Canons Road, 0117 929 1100, free live music Wed & Thur from 9.30pm, Fri & Sat from 11:00pm,
5. The Old Duke
— TheJake Leg Jug Band (@JakeLegJug) October 16, 2015
One of Bristol’s longest running venues, it’s been a bastion of King Street for years now. It’s jazz here most nights of the week and it is awesome.
45 King Street, 0117 927 7137, free live music 8.30pm nightly
6. Golden Lion
Gloucester Road is full of good venues for free music. At the furthest up you’ll find the Golden Lion. All sorts of music here from funk and swing to charmingly good rock.
244 Gloucester Rd, Bristol, free live music every day apart from Fridays.
— The Coronation Tap (@CoriTapClifton) April 28, 2015
Clifton’s legendary, centuries-old cider house, home of the infamous Exhibition (try it but not too many), and award-winning live music venue!
8 Sion Place, Clifton, 0117 973 9617, live music on Sundays and Tuesdays are free.
The 20 Best Bristol Street Art Pieces Of 2017
Best Bristol Street Art
It’s been another great year for the local street art scene. Here’s a list of some of the best art from 2017, some of it is still there to view and some has been replaced; all part of the natural evolution of the art form. We were treated to another stellar Upfest festival which is the biggest in Europe and in my opinion the best. Anyway, here is the list. Don’t forget to follow us on Instagram (@streetartbristol) for many more photos from this year and fresh work as we make our way into 2018. Happy new year!
1. Paul Monsters (@paulmonsters) & Copyright (@copyrightart)
2. 3dom (@3dom22)
3. Liz C Illustration (@lizc_illustration)
4. Irony (@whoamirony) & Boe (@placee_boe)
5. Kobra (@kobrastreetart)
6. Voyder (@voyder) & 3dom (@3dom22)
7. Woskerski (@woskerski)
8. Kristx (@kristx_)
9. Aspire (@aspireartwork) & D7606 (@d7606)
10. N4T4 (@n_4_t_4)
11. Dzia (@dzia)
12. Andrew Burns Colwill (@andrewburnscolwill
13. Lemak (@lemak_art)
14. Si2 (@hull_graffiti)
15. Melike Painting (@melikepainting) & Nino Viegas (@nunovviegas)
16. Bex Glover (@bexgloverart)
17. Unknown Artist
18. Cheo (@cheograff)
19. Louis Masai (@louismasai)
20. Angus (@angusart85)
Bristol’s Hidden Street Art Part 1
Hidden street in Bristol: Shop Shutters
I used to think I kept fully up to speed with the urban art scene in Bristol and knew the majority of locations to find anything of interest. Then one day I went for my usual wander around Bedminster and realised this wasn’t totally the case. This did happen to be 8 o’clock on a Saturday morning so more importantly what the hell was I doing up and out at that time?! This was during the week before Upfest 2017 so I wanted to make sure I had photos of all the pieces soon to be lost.
All along North Street was art I hadn’t seen before; on shop shutters! I probably had seen a couple of them on a previous weekend wander but there were maybe 6 or 7 completely new to me, some more classical graffiti and some more so ‘street art’ by brilliant artists. This started a quest to walk around my usual graff/art spots of the city on weekends or after closing times to see what other art was waiting for me. Here’s is some of what I found.
1. Andy Council (@andycouncil) – North Street, Bedminster
2. Dan Leo (@danleodesign) – Stokes Croft
3. Sled One (@sledone) & Smak (@smaktown) – Moon Street, Stokes Croft
4. Ok so this one isn’t a shop shutter but still deserves a shout. By 3dom (@3dom22) in Brislington/St Annes
5. Alex Lucas aka Lucas Antics (@lucas_antics) at Stokes Croft Vintage Market
Alex has done more recent shutters on North Street that I don’t have a photo of (yet!) but it’s white butterflies on black background, go find it and tag your Instagram photo with #streetartbristol 👍🏻
6. Mayflower Chinese Restaurant near bus station, artist unknown
7. Mr Impossible by Loch Ness (@lochnessart) on North Street
8. Jamaican Diner, North Street. Artist unknown
9. One of my favourites on North Street is this one by Copyright (@copyrightart)
10. Lokey (@lokey_bristol) at North Street Standard
11. The Bollywood Beauty Lounge on North Street
12. Tamrakar on North Street
13. SHAB (@s.h.a.b) at North Street Standard
14. A few doors away from Hamilton House in Stokes Croft
15. Dons Car Wash painted by Sepr (@sepr) in St Pauls
16. Another from Stokes Croft
17. Pete’s Barbers, West Street, Bedminster
18. Vandal by Nick Walker (@nickwalker_art) on St George’s Road
19. Another Mr Men & Little Miss themed shutter from Upfest 2016
20. Bird is the word, one on North Street…for a change 😏
That’s it for this article, part two of the list will be coming your way in the near future. If you enjoyed this please come and follow us on Instagram and tag your Bristol street art pics with our hashtag. Thanks for reading.
Follow us: @streetartbristol
Tag your photos: #streetartbristol
Bristol Pub Quizzes
It’s time for a good old fashioned Bristol pub quiz
There are endless places where you can find some good Bristol pub quizzes. Fridays and Saturdays are unlikely but here are loads of places Sunday – Thursday.
Monday Bristol Pub Quizzes
- The Flyer at 8pm on Gloucester Road
- The Lounge at 8pm on North Street
- The Shakespeare at 8pm in Redland
- Golden Lion music quiz at 8.30pm on Gloucester Road
- The Wellington at 8.30pm on Gloucester Road
Tuesday Bristol Pub Quizzes
- The Brass Pig at 9pm in Clifton
- The Bristol Ram at 7.30pm on Park Street
- Victoria Park at 8pm in Bedminster
- Mother’s Ruin at 9pm in the centre
- Bag of Nails at 8pm in Hotwells
- The Famous Royal Navy Volunteer at 7.30pm on Kings Street
Wednesday Bristol Pub Quizzes
- Crack Magazine Music Quiz at 9pm on the Christmas Steps
- Duke of York at 8pm in St. Werburghs
- The Cadbury at 8pm in Montpellier
Thursday Bristol Pub Quizzes
- The Hare on the Hill at 8pm in Kingsdown
- The Ship Inn at 8.30pm on Park Row
- The Red Lion at 9pm on Whitehall Road, St George/Easton/Redfield. BS5.
Sunday Bristol Pub Quizzes
- The Spotted Cow at 8pm in Fishponds
- The Anchor at 8pm on Gloucester Road
- Old Market Tavern Pride Quiz (first Sunday of each Month) in Old Market
Blankety Quiz – Found across Bristol and voted the best pub quiz in Bristol
Got any that we’ve missed? Pop them in the comments below.
Hyde & Co’s Launch Impressive New Cocktail Menu
A year has passed since Bristol’s finest cocktail bar last refreshed its menu, and it’s all change again at the...
A Response To ‘Gentrification By Instagram’
In response to Bristol 24/7 and Thomas Oxley: ‘Gentrification by Instagram’ First of all I should say to those that...
There’s A Gin Bus & A Rum Bus Coming To Bristol!
The Foozie bus series is returning to Bristol! After the hugely successful Foozie bus series last year, Bristol will again...
Outrage As Bearpit To Become Open Air Pool In Leaked Council Documents
Bristolians are up in arms after documents leaked from Bristol City Council show the city’s much maligned Bearpit is set...
An Amazing Bristol Brewery Is Set To Open In Finzel’s Reach
Left Handed Giant reaches closing stages of £1 million crowd funding campaign Bristol-based Left Handed Giant, one of the UK’s...
Don’t Be A F***ing No Show, Bristol
Don’t be a Fucking No Show This is an article I’ve wanted to write for a long time, but the...
Opinion5 months ago
Welcome To Bristol – As Long As You’re Not A C**t
Featured4 months ago
Why I F****ing LOVE Bristol
Bristol Guides8 months ago
74 Things To Do On Gloucester Road
Featured4 months ago
The Big Bristol 2017 Quiz
Places to Eat in Bristol4 months ago
The First British Dal Festival to Hit Bristol in 2018
Bars5 months ago
There’s A Website Reviewing Bristol’s Pub Toilets
Bars10 months ago
8 Awesome Places To Drink Gin In Bristol
Featured2 weeks ago
A Response To ‘Gentrification By Instagram’