Sometimes you need a little different Bristol tourist information
New to Bristol or just swinging by for a visit? You might just need a bit of alternative Bristol tourist information. Everyone knows about the great things to do in Bristol, Clifton Suspension Bridge, Balloon Fiesta, St Pauls Carnival etc. But there’s so much more you can see here!
Before you begin, watch this amazing video of Bristol life to get you started:
So massages aren’t what they necessarily seem in Stokes Croft
Bristol seagulls are outrageously massive and kebab hungry. Hold your sandwich otherwise you will lose it!
Bristol is a mad ting. I just saw a girl get her sandwich jacked by a seagull. #gully
— Starborn Se7en (@houseofel_uk) September 11, 2015
There are tiny little pubs like the Swan with Two Necks where there’s actually Natch on tap
Oh yeah, Natch, it’s this cider drink, you really should try it… if you like Frosty Jacks.
Be very careful about having a stag do in Bristol. It might not end well
There’s a place in Stokes Croft called ‘Turbo Island’. You’ll normally find something unusual going on there like this:
Or occasionally a free rave
Speaking of Stokes Croft, if you’re planning on moving to Bristol to build another Tesco, you might not want to do it here
You’re probably going to visit the Clifton Suspension Bridge but make sure you go down the shiny rock slide
No night out in Bristol is complete without a visit to the Grecian, it’s actually the law.
Bristol also has a whole host of unusual but brilliant buskers, like this guy
But most famously Jeff the Big Issue seller. You’ll usually see him singing in Stokes Croft or at the top of Park Street
In between ‘me babber’ & ‘gert lush’ you may find it difficult to understand everyone. Just give Terry the Odd Job Man’s Bristolian language lessons a try
Alternatively you can even learn how to talk Bristolian at a game of Bristol bingo… featuring chicken wings!
No matter how tired you get walking around Bristol, do not sleep in a bath
If you have to call the police, just make sure it’s for a real issue
If you go to any gig in Bristol you will run into Big Jeff. FACT
— NOISEY (@NoiseyMusic) June 14, 2015
You’ll also learn that Bristol’s got some pretty interesting news headlines…
Skins was filmed here, but more importantly this scene from Only Fools and Horses
Bristol has lots of unusual facts, like being the birth place of Ribena!
Oh yeah, there’s a pub called Bag of Nails where you can pet cats!
Most of the buses are from First Bus. And they’ve got a very vocal ‘fan base’. In fact there’s 5 different Twitter accounts set up about how much people hate them!
There’s also a bus that runs on human poo…
— Robbt (@erisbright) July 7, 2015
Bristol’s famously a cycling city, sometimes you’ll even see hundreds of naked cyclists
You may end up in a lovely little place called ‘The Bearpit’
Just watch out for it’s local wildlife
There’s a mayor with red trousers. He get’s a bit of stick
— Steve Collins (@SteveJCollins) September 3, 2015
If you end up in a Gloucester Road cafe you may run into the creatures called ‘Bishopston Mums’
— Anna (@anna0driscoll) July 1, 2015
There’s a very well off area called ‘Clifton’, but the Cliftonaires are a strange bunch. Occasionally using tanks to oppose parking changes
The good people of Clifton in Bristol drove a 25-tonne tank around the streets in protest after big parking row. pic.twitter.com/s7GANq54lJ
— Geoff Randall (@Geoff55R) April 14, 2014
You may end up on a strange place called ‘The Triangle’, where students can be seen chundering over their tinder dates outside Mbargos. Venture a bit further and you’ll find the best named place to eat in Bristol
Only 1 thing is certain in Bristol. Walk through Broadmead and you will find the Broadmead preacher
Like Doctor Who? Well you can even take a shite in a Tardis toilet in Bristol
— grumpy man (@Baddileyram) December 21, 2014
If you see someone wandering around with a beard, large glasses and a craft beer in their hand they may be one of the common ‘Bristol Hipsters’
If you get lost, don’t worry! Bristol’s got some of the best named streets in the world
Just remember, there’s also a strict door policy in operation in most Bristol clubs
Hopefully this Bristol tourist information has you convinced and you’re now ready to move to Bristol. For those still wavering, just look at how darn sexy this city is
The 20 Best Bristol Street Art Pieces Of 2017
Best Bristol Street Art
It’s been another great year for the local street art scene. Here’s a list of some of the best art from 2017, some of it is still there to view and some has been replaced; all part of the natural evolution of the art form. We were treated to another stellar Upfest festival which is the biggest in Europe and in my opinion the best. Anyway, here is the list. Don’t forget to follow us on Instagram (@streetartbristol) for many more photos from this year and fresh work as we make our way into 2018. Happy new year!
1. Paul Monsters (@paulmonsters) & Copyright (@copyrightart)
2. 3dom (@3dom22)
3. Liz C Illustration (@lizc_illustration)
4. Irony (@whoamirony) & Boe (@placee_boe)
5. Kobra (@kobrastreetart)
6. Voyder (@voyder) & 3dom (@3dom22)
7. Woskerski (@woskerski)
8. Kristx (@kristx_)
9. Aspire (@aspireartwork) & D7606 (@d7606)
10. N4T4 (@n_4_t_4)
11. Dzia (@dzia)
12. Andrew Burns Colwill (@andrewburnscolwill
13. Lemak (@lemak_art)
14. Si2 (@hull_graffiti)
15. Melike Painting (@melikepainting) & Nino Viegas (@nunovviegas)
16. Bex Glover (@bexgloverart)
17. Unknown Artist
18. Cheo (@cheograff)
19. Louis Masai (@louismasai)
20. Angus (@angusart85)
Bristol’s Hidden Street Art Part 1
Hidden street in Bristol: Shop Shutters
I used to think I kept fully up to speed with the urban art scene in Bristol and knew the majority of locations to find anything of interest. Then one day I went for my usual wander around Bedminster and realised this wasn’t totally the case. This did happen to be 8 o’clock on a Saturday morning so more importantly what the hell was I doing up and out at that time?! This was during the week before Upfest 2017 so I wanted to make sure I had photos of all the pieces soon to be lost.
All along North Street was art I hadn’t seen before; on shop shutters! I probably had seen a couple of them on a previous weekend wander but there were maybe 6 or 7 completely new to me, some more classical graffiti and some more so ‘street art’ by brilliant artists. This started a quest to walk around my usual graff/art spots of the city on weekends or after closing times to see what other art was waiting for me. Here’s is some of what I found.
1. Andy Council (@andycouncil) – North Street, Bedminster
2. Dan Leo (@danleodesign) – Stokes Croft
3. Sled One (@sledone) & Smak (@smaktown) – Moon Street, Stokes Croft
4. Ok so this one isn’t a shop shutter but still deserves a shout. By 3dom (@3dom22) in Brislington/St Annes
5. Alex Lucas aka Lucas Antics (@lucas_antics) at Stokes Croft Vintage Market
Alex has done more recent shutters on North Street that I don’t have a photo of (yet!) but it’s white butterflies on black background, go find it and tag your Instagram photo with #streetartbristol 👍🏻
6. Mayflower Chinese Restaurant near bus station, artist unknown
7. Mr Impossible by Loch Ness (@lochnessart) on North Street
8. Jamaican Diner, North Street. Artist unknown
9. One of my favourites on North Street is this one by Copyright (@copyrightart)
10. Lokey (@lokey_bristol) at North Street Standard
11. The Bollywood Beauty Lounge on North Street
12. Tamrakar on North Street
13. SHAB (@s.h.a.b) at North Street Standard
14. A few doors away from Hamilton House in Stokes Croft
15. Dons Car Wash painted by Sepr (@sepr) in St Pauls
16. Another from Stokes Croft
17. Pete’s Barbers, West Street, Bedminster
18. Vandal by Nick Walker (@nickwalker_art) on St George’s Road
19. Another Mr Men & Little Miss themed shutter from Upfest 2016
20. Bird is the word, one on North Street…for a change 😏
That’s it for this article, part two of the list will be coming your way in the near future. If you enjoyed this please come and follow us on Instagram and tag your Bristol street art pics with our hashtag. Thanks for reading.
Follow us: @streetartbristol
Tag your photos: #streetartbristol
Bristol Pub Quizzes
It’s time for a good old fashioned Bristol pub quiz
There are endless places where you can find some good Bristol pub quizzes. Fridays and Saturdays are unlikely but here are loads of places Sunday – Thursday.
Monday Bristol Pub Quizzes
- The Flyer at 8pm on Gloucester Road
- The Lounge at 8pm on North Street
- The Shakespeare at 8pm in Redland
- Golden Lion music quiz at 8.30pm on Gloucester Road
- The Wellington at 8.30pm on Gloucester Road
Tuesday Bristol Pub Quizzes
- The Brass Pig at 9pm in Clifton
- The Bristol Ram at 7.30pm on Park Street
- Victoria Park at 8pm in Bedminster
- Mother’s Ruin at 9pm in the centre
- Bag of Nails at 8pm in Hotwells
- The Famous Royal Navy Volunteer at 7.30pm on Kings Street
Wednesday Bristol Pub Quizzes
- Crack Magazine Music Quiz at 9pm on the Christmas Steps
- Duke of York at 8pm in St. Werburghs
- The Cadbury at 8pm in Montpellier
Thursday Bristol Pub Quizzes
- The Hare on the Hill at 8pm in Kingsdown
- The Ship Inn at 8.30pm on Park Row
- The Red Lion at 9pm on Whitehall Road, St George/Easton/Redfield. BS5.
Sunday Bristol Pub Quizzes
- The Spotted Cow at 8pm in Fishponds
- The Anchor at 8pm on Gloucester Road
- Old Market Tavern Pride Quiz (first Sunday of each Month) in Old Market
Blankety Quiz – Found across Bristol and voted the best pub quiz in Bristol
Got any that we’ve missed? Pop them in the comments below.
Hyde & Co’s Launch Impressive New Cocktail Menu
A year has passed since Bristol’s finest cocktail bar last refreshed its menu, and it’s all change again at the...
A Response To ‘Gentrification By Instagram’
In response to Bristol 24/7 and Thomas Oxley: ‘Gentrification by Instagram’ First of all I should say to those that...
There’s A Gin Bus & A Rum Bus Coming To Bristol!
The Foozie bus series is returning to Bristol! After the hugely successful Foozie bus series last year, Bristol will again...
Outrage As Bearpit To Become Open Air Pool In Leaked Council Documents
Bristolians are up in arms after documents leaked from Bristol City Council show the city’s much maligned Bearpit is set...
An Amazing Bristol Brewery Is Set To Open In Finzel’s Reach
Left Handed Giant reaches closing stages of £1 million crowd funding campaign Bristol-based Left Handed Giant, one of the UK’s...
Don’t Be A F***ing No Show, Bristol
Don’t be a Fucking No Show This is an article I’ve wanted to write for a long time, but the...
Opinion5 months ago
Welcome To Bristol – As Long As You’re Not A C**t
Featured4 months ago
Why I F****ing LOVE Bristol
Bristol Guides9 months ago
74 Things To Do On Gloucester Road
Featured4 months ago
The Big Bristol 2017 Quiz
Places to Eat in Bristol4 months ago
The First British Dal Festival to Hit Bristol in 2018
Bars5 months ago
There’s A Website Reviewing Bristol’s Pub Toilets
Bars10 months ago
8 Awesome Places To Drink Gin In Bristol
Featured2 weeks ago
A Response To ‘Gentrification By Instagram’